Butterfly ID requested
Butterfly ID requested
Can someone tell me what this butterfly is? I photographed it in June near Zilnia, Slovakia in Europe. Both photos are of the insect. Thank you.
Jim Zuckerman
Zilnia, Slovakia

Silver Studded Blue

Silver Studded Blue

Dear Jim,
What we could say before doing any research is that your butterfly is a Gossamer Winged Butterfly in the family Lycaenidae and the subfamily Polyommatinae.  Now that we have a brand new computer, our internet research is so much faster.  We quickly tentatively identified your butterfly as a Silver Studded Blue, Plebejus (Plebeius) argus, on the Butterflies of Europe and North Africa website.  The bright blue coloration indicates a male.  Sadly, we cannot link directly to the image on the previous site, but the Butterflies of Norway site has mounted specimens.  They are not as pretty as the living specimens.

Silver Studded Blue

Silver Studded Blue

One Response to Silver Studded Blue from Slovakia, we believe

1. Colin says:

Common Blue (male ) – Polyommatus icarus

The black borders on a SS Blue are much thicker, and on the underside hindwings, there are round iridescent spots (hence the name ‘Silver-studded’).