Checkered Beetle, I think
12 July 2009, 9:03 AM
We have lived in Southern California for two years and this is the first time I have ever seen this “bug.” First discovered it in the garage a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a roach at first, but because of the markings, I decided it wasn’t. A few days later there was one in my bedroom, high up on the wall near the ceiling. This one is on the wall in the dining room; near the back patio door, also high up near the ceiling. My 4 year old son asked, “what kind of bug is that?” I didn’t know, so here we are asking you! Thanks!
Sara and Lane
Coastal Southern California

Eucalyptus Borer

Eucalyptus Borer

Hi Sara and Lane,
You are the first letter we are posting in over two days.  We have  been without a computer while Apple transferred data from the old computer to the new one.  This is a Eucalyptus Borer in the genus Phoracantha.  We believe it is Phoracantha recurva described  on the UC Davis Statewide Integrated Pest Management Website as:  “mostly cream to yellowish; dark brown areas primarily limited to rear third of elytra”

2 Responses to Eucalyptus Borer

1. Robbin says:

I live in the Bay Area and have now found 2 of these in my house! I also thought initially that it was a cockroach but due to the markings decided it wasn’t too. Why are they in my house and how do you get rid of them?