Mydas clavatus – Mydas Fly
Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM
I know you have some pictures of this already but I can’t help but send this to you anyway. I found this on my blooming mint plants today and thought it was a huge wasp. A search on bugguide showed me that it was instead one of the largest flies in the US a mydas fly. Looks like it must be a male as they say females don’t feed on nectar. He is jet black with a brilliant orange stripe on the upper abdomen with Iridescent wings. Looked to be about 1 1/2 inches in length. Not aggressive but focused on nectar gathering.
Surely is an amazingly beautiful creature!
Stefanie
Paducah, KY

Mydas Fly

Mydas Fly

Hi Stefanie,
Thank you for sending us your gorgeous Mydas Fly images.  We will link to the BugGuide page for our readers who want more information on this spectacular insect.

Mydas Fly

Mydas Fly

One Response to Mydas Fly

1. Rondi says:

I have looked all over trying to find this fly! I have them in my vegetable garden. I too thought it was a beautiful wasp and watched with delight as it stopped on every plant!