Hexagenia limbata ?? Lovely and yellow
Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM
Dear Bug Person,
As a family of amateur naturalists, we implore you to help us correctly identify this lovely yellow specimen my son found near the banks of the James River today. We’d love to be able to add it’s name to our nature journals! It was struggling to fly when we found it and lifted it to a branch so it could be upright.
A Thousand Thanks
Sincerely, The Farmer Family
Richmond,Virginia

Mayfly Subimago

Mayfly Subimago

Dear Farmer Family,
We cannot say for certain that this Mayfly is Hexagenia limbata, but that is a good possibility based on the images posted to BugGuide.  We will post your letter and hopefully, one of our readers who knows more about the order Ephemeroptera will be able to provide a definite  answer.  We do believe this is a subimago, or preadult and that it will molt one more time before becoming a true reproductive adult with clear wings.  You may read more about Mayflies on BugGuide.

2 Responses to Mayfly, but what species???

1. mayflies2010 says:

Hey, this is Tyler (I emailed you), this is a great picture of a subimago mayfly

Hi Tyler,
      We received your earlier request: “hello, I am a student at the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse and am currently making an informational website about mayflies. I am emailing you to ask permission to use one of your mayfly images on my webpage which will be viewable to the public. The image will be referenced back to your webpage and will remain online as a part of a larger project: multiple organisms.net
      I would appreciate it thanks.”
      You have our permission to use this image since it will not be a commercial use and it will be for educational purposes.