western manitoba – beetles mating on columbine
Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Hello there. Could you help me identify these lovely bugs mating on some columbine in our Riding Mountain National Park official gardens. I took the photo just today – it’s July 1st.
Their lower backs seem to be silver or transparent.
Thank you so much for your time.
M.M.
Clear Lake, Manitoba – Riding Mountain National Park

Mating Twice Stabbed Stink Bugs

Mating Twice Stabbed Stink Bugs

Dear M.M.,
These are not mating beetles, but mating Twice-Stabbed Stink Bugs, Cosmopepla lintneriana.  According to BugGuide, it is “Formerly Cosmopepla bimaculata , and still listed that way by most guides.”  BugGuide also indicates:  “Adults suck plant juices from many different plants: thistles, mints, goldenrods, ragweeds, columbines.”
The Columbine is our favorite flower, and we want to post your photo uncropped, but we are also cropping in closer to better showcase the Twice Stabbed Stink Bugs.

Twice Stabbed Stink Bugs Mating

Update:  No Broken Promise
Subject: I was asked to be in your book, was it ever printed?
November 14, 2014 1:37 am
Hi there.  Several years ago I submitted a photo of two shield bugs mating on a clematis (in Manitoba), and in your id response you requested my photo for your book.  I provided you with my photo credit info.  I was never notified when it came out, and I’m wondering what happened?  Do the people featured get a free copy of the book at least, since we weren’t paid to be featured?
Thank you.
Signature: Maggie Mandarano

Subject: Sorry they were stink bugs, not shield bugs, and on columbine
November 14, 2014 1:49 am
Sorry, just found the original question I sent – got the bug and flower wrong, duh…
It was stink bugs, on a columbine.  Here’s the original header from the question.
Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM
I hope I didnt come across as rude – that wasn’t my intention – just curious if my photo ever got printed.  Thank you kindly.
Signature: Maggie Mandarano

Dear Maggie,
Daniel’s book, The Curious World of Bugs, was indeed published in 2010, but a decision was made to opt out of using photographic illustrations like those in numerous guide books that are sold for identification purposes, and instead to use Nineteenth Century illustrations to give a more Victorian look to the book.  Our standard release on our submission form does indicate that WTB? can publish letters and submitted images on our site and any associated publications, and we did post your image of mating Twice Stabbed Stink Bugs, but the posting was online and not in print.