giant 5″, beetle-like bug with long mandibles, 6 legs and 4 glassy clear and black wings
Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM
he or she is clinging on the wall outside our office in Indianapolis, in the shade, it’s about 95 degrees outside. When agitated with a paper, it bites at the paper with mandibles, but doesn’t fly away. It moved over to the edge of the column away from the paper after a while. It did not move it’s wings at all, but would move it’s head, articulating on the long neck.
My guess is some kind of North American Stag Beetle? Maybe it’s moulting or something and doesn’t want to use it’s wings?
Disappointed I can’t use “Green or Brown, depending on if I’ve watered.” as the answer to the human test.
Alex in Indy
Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dobsonfly

Dobsonfly

Hi Alex,
We have been away for several days attending a wonderful outdoor wedding in the redwood forest in Mendocino. While there we saw our very first live Banana Slug, though we did not photograph it. We will talk to our web host about the human question on our form. This is actually a male Dobsonfly. We have recently posted several images of female Dobsonflies with their smaller mandibles as well as an image of an immature Hellgrammite. The male Dobsonfly, according to the information we have read, uses his mandibles to compete for a mate, but we have never seen photo documentation to that effect.