honey bee swarm
Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM
thought you might like a picture of a nice summer honey bee swarm for your website. i walked outside this afternoon to take out the trash and found these ladies on a birdbath in my back yard. i would have liked clearer pictures but i didn’t want to stress them out any more than they already were by getting any closer than i did. they’ve been there for about 3 hours now and seem to still be growing in number, not that i mind, i think they’re fascinating, but how long do swarms generally stay in the same place during a relocation like that?
rebekah
summerville, south carolina

Honey Bee Swarm

Honey Bee Swarm

Hi Rebekah,
We are thrilled to post your photo of a Honey Bee Swarm.  The swarm will stay until the scouts find a new location, or until they feel threatened or disturbed.  Last spring, a swarm settled into one of our shrubs in Southern California, and they remained for about three hours.

2 Responses to Honey Bee Swarm

1. timjea says:

I’d like permission to use the birdbath bee photo from your website for training purposes with kids and new beekeepers in our club and any other opportunity where it would be beneficial. Its a great photo.

You may use the image. Please credit the What’s That Bug? website and the photographer, though she only listed her first name.