White moth with blue and black spots
Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM
I found this in northwest Louisiana close to the TX border about a month ago I think he was on his last leg. I was able to pick him up and move him out of harms way. I looked through your moth section and found no pics. I’d like to know what he is.
LaTonia
NW Louisiana near Texas border

Giant Leopard Moth

Giant Leopard Moth

Of LaTonia,
Of the four identification requests for the Giant Leopard Moth,  Hypercompe scribonia, we have received since Friday, your sighting was the furthest west and south.  Your moth is missing the scales from the tips of the wings, indicating either it is an older moth, or that it has encountered some type of trauma.  We are thrilled to be able to post all four letters so our readership will have a clear idea of the range of this moth, and also that despite the 1000s of miles separating them, their biological clocks are ticking on the same schedule.

One Response to Giant Leopard Moth

1. samwoo says:

I found this moth in my rental car which I picked up in Naples, FL. The car has FL plates. I would think that the car was cleaned prior to my rental so I must have picked him up locally between Naples and Vero Beach.