Two bugs found in Alabama — Need ID
Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM
I was walking around tonight in my apartment complex, and I found these two bugs. Right now, it’s technically still spring, but the weather is very warm and balmy right now. The pictures are as good as I could get it. They are very slow moving, and they didn’t seem to mind posing for the pictures. The one in front (brown) is shorter. It seemed to be about 1-1.5 inches. The other one has a slight green tint to the wings and seems to be 1.5-2 inches length in the body and another 1/2 inch or so for the wings. At first when I found them, the larger one was on top of the brown one. I didn’t disturb them or harm them in any way whatsoever. I just want to know what the little things are. I would appreciate ANY help!
Amanda
Jacksonville, AL

Cicada Metamorphosis

Cicada Metamorphosis

Dear Amanda,
You have observed a Cicada metamorphosis.  This is not two bugs, but one winged adult Cicada emerging from its shed larval skin.  We are unable to identify your exact species, but we can tell you that this is one of the Annual Cicadas that appear in a given location yearly.  It often takes three years for the nymphs to develop underground, but each year there is a new adult population.