Hummingbird moth?
Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM
Hello bugman,
This moth flew into my friends sun room last week. It was pretty big, about the size of a hummingbird. It sounded like one, too. I was thinking it could be some type of hummingbird moth, but I’m not sure. Please let me know what type of bug this is. Thanks. 🙂
Danielle
Denver, Colorado

Nessus Sphinx

Nessus Sphinx

Hi Danielle,
Moths in the family Sphingidae are commonly referred to as Hawkmoths or Sphinxes, and Hummingbird Moths are a common name for the Clearwing diurnal moths in the tribe Dilophonotini, a subcategory of the Sphingidae.  Your moth is a Nessus Sphinx, Amphion floridensis, which despite its name, has a much greater range than just the state of Florida.  The Nessus Sphinx is also a diurnal species and it is frequently mistaken for a hummingbird, as are many of the Sphinxes, especially when they hover near flowers gathering nectar.  You may read more about the Nessus Sphinx on Bill Oehlke’s awesome website.

2 Responses to Nessus Sphinx

1. I saw my first Nessus Sphinx today. It was getting the wetness off the digs in a basket. It was about a inch long , with the two light yellow stripes on its lower body. This was in Bay Saint Louis , Mississippi ! Very cool !!