large striped beetle
Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:17 AM
this beetle, probably a bit more than two or three inches was in our garage. He was struggling on his back. When I tried to turn him over, he hissed at me. I finally picked him up and put him out in the front yard. Can you tell me what he is?
Linda Williams
Marble Falls, Texas

Lined June Beetle

Lined June Beetle

Hi Linda,
This is one of the Lined June Beetles in the genus Polyphylla, probably Polyphylla occidentalis, though s
pecies identification may be difficult.  There are numerous matching images posted to BugGuide.  The genus page on BugGuide indicates:  “Food Adults feed on tree foliage, thus sometimes called ‘chafers’.
Life Cycle Eggs are laid on soil near host plants. Larvae hatch, burrow down and feed on roots of shrubs, trees, require 2-3 years to reach maturity. Pupation is in underground chambers. Adults come to lights. ”  These beetles make squeaking noises when handled.

One Response to Lined June Beetle

1. Katarina says:

I live in east Vancouver and for the last few nights at dusk there are bugs that are buzzing around my front porch and outside in all the trees that line the street. They look to be the size of a small bumble bee and they make a buzzing sound. I’m almost certain that they are not bumble bees but can’t figure out what they may be. Any thoughts to what they might be?