Beetle my friend photographed
Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM
My friend posted a picture of this beetle she came across and was curious as to what kind it is. Found in their house in Orlando, FL.
James
Orlando, FL

Diaprepes Root Weevil

Diaprepes Root Weevil

Dear James,
Your friend has photographed the invasive exotic Diaprepes Root Weevil, Diaprepes abbreviatus. Though it is beautiful, this Caribbean native has naturalized in Florida “where it has become a serious pest especially of citrus and woody ornamentals” according to BugGuide. BugGuide goes on to report: “The California Dept. of Food & Agriculture has issued a flyer containing the following information: ‘The weevil was accidentally introduced into Florida in the 1960s and caused extensive damage. It has been intercepted in shipments of plants to California.’ Said to feed on some 270 different plants, it’s described as ‘a significant threat to both urban and agricultural trees and plants.'”