Pink, Cream and Yellow Colored Moth in Connecticut
Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM
This beautiful moth was resting on the entrance to my SE Connecticut home in May, 2009. I’m curious what it is and also what kind of other information about it you could give me. It was about the size of a US quarter; possibly a bit larger.
Donna in Marlborough, CT
Marlborough, CT., USA

Rosy Maple Moth

Rosy Maple Moth

Hi Donna,
This little beauty is a Rosy Maple Moth, Dryocampa rubicunda.  One of our readers once described it as a sherbet moth.  It is related to the Giant Silk Worm moths that do not feed as adults.  The Rosy Maple Moth is found in much of eastern North America including Florida.  You can find out more by looking on BugGuide and also by searching our archives for previous postings.

12 Responses to Rosy Maple Moth

1. […] up our eldest son from scout camp brought us closer to this beautiful moth!  The Rosy Maple Moth.  (Found out the name from What’s That […]

2. Heather says:

I was out de-bugging my pumpkins when I found this moth. And I live in Arizona

3. Sash says:

lol found one chilling on my porch floor, are these species of moth considered rare?

They are not considered rare, and though they range across much of eastern North America, they may be absent or uncommon in parts of the range.

4. Sara says:

Is a rosy maple moth poisoness???

5. sharell says:

Is Tylertown Mississippi very far from a rosy maple moths home? Found 1 at my house & I was wondering .

Interestingly, Mississippi is the one state east of Texas that is not shaded in on the range map for the Rosy Maple Moth on BugGuide. That does not mean they are not there. It only means no one from Mississippi has sent a submission to BugGuide. We are quite confident that Rosy Maple Moths are found in Mississippi.

6. Vicki says:

We saw a newly eclosed Rosy Maple Moth in our camp in the Smokey Mountains of TN … it was only about an inch long, and it’s wings were not big enough for it to fly … it was so cute walking over the gravel of the campground. Who knew a moth could have such a cute face and little pink dancing legs!?

7. Rachael says:

One of these came as a caterpillar in my grass and found some grass to hang on and then before I knew it, it slowly grew out these full set of wings? Do they normally expand out like that or did I witness this caterpillar grow into a beautiful moth before my eyes?

When a moth first emerges from the pupa, its wings are shriveled and not yet fully expanded. Though we cannot locate an example of a Rosy Maple Moth in our archives, this Oakworm Moth is what a newly metamorphosed adult Silkmoth looks like before its wings expand.