Need ID for Neo tropical Conservation Project
Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM
Sorry about the misunderstood, I didn’t mean to say any thing bad about your students or about the way you judge them. I was actually trying to be funny but it didn’t work obviously. I have a strange kind of humour, maybe cause I m french, but well nobody’s perfect!
I am currently in Louisiana were they also are having a hard time conserving the coast line and the beautiful swamps…the problem is everywhere I m afraid.
I will be back in Ecuador next friday though.
I would like to ask you a favor: I have been having the photos I am attaching on my computer for a while and I don’t know how to classify the critters… Do you have any idea if these are hymenopteran, megalopterans, or some kind of hemipteran nymphs?
Sorry this is one of the first time I find myself so stranded with a species. I don’t have a scientific background at all, I m just learning as I go.
Thanks in advance.
Thierry
ecuador eastern slopes

Owlfly

Owlfly

Hi Again Thierry,
We are very happy that we can assist you with this difficult identification. We would wager money that these are Owlflies, members of the order Neuroptera, which includes Lacewings and Antlions, and the family Ascalaphidae. We haven’t a clue as to the genus or species. Here is what BugGuide uses as identification markers for Owlflies: “Bizarre creatures that look like a cross between a dragonfly and a butterfly. The body resembles that of other neuropterans, more-or-less, but the prominent antennae are clubbed like those of butterflies. Key characters:
Medium to large size
Clubbed antennae
Eyes large and bulge out from head
may rest in cryptic posture with abdomen projecting from perch, resembling a twig”. The social behavior is a bit unusual in our mind, but they may be feeding on some plant eating insect.

Owlfly Aggregation

Owlfly Aggregation

Thank you so much Daniel for your help. Actually after I sent you the message I scrolled down you re web page and realized that some one had sent you a picture of an owlfly and imagined we could be dealing with one of them guys. Touche!
I’ m glad I learnt something as I didn’t suspect the existence of such creatures.
Good luck with everything. we’ll be in touch.