Flying insect surrounds my house & car
Sun, May 31, 2009 at 7:02 AM
This little bug showed up what seemed to be over night. I first noticed it Friday morning all over my screen door. When I went out they seemed to be swarming like gnats. Then when I got to my car they seemed to be crawling all over it. The pictures don’t show the color well but it is a clearish light green.
If you need more pictures I can send them.
Jason
Mt. Vernon Indiana

Water Midge

Water Midge

Dear Jason,
This appears to be a Water Midge in the family Chironomidae, probably the genus Chironomus.  The aquatic larvae of some species are known as Bloodworms and are sold frozen as tropical fish food, a favorite of our Angelfish and Rams.  BugGuide has many excellent images of Midges.  Charles Hogue in Insects of the Los Angeles Basin writes:  “Small clouds of males are frequently seen hovering in the air over or near water. At times they form larger clouds that look like smoke over trees or tall structures;  these aggregations are attractive to females and are the chief mating strategy of many species.  Tremendous numbers may also gather around lights on warm summer enenings.”