Intruder Alert!
Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM
I found this guy skulking alone on my living room ceiling this evening. It was a very warm day out today, one of the warmest so far this year in Portland, Oregon.
I don’t recognize him, nor to any of my friends.
For the moment, I have him in a holding cell. If he turns out to be a harmless bug, I’ll just release him in the back yard and let him go on his way. If he’s one of those destructive pests, with other friends hiding out in the woodwork (so to speak), he will face summary execution.
So, can you identify this invader?
Paranoid Portland Home Owner
Portland, Oregon

Soldier Beetle

Soldier Beetle

Dear PPHO,
This is a species of Soldier Beetle.  According to BugGuide, Soldier Beetle:  “Adults eat nectar, pollen and in some cases other insects, particularly aphids. Larvae are generally carnivorous and feed on small soft-bodied insects.  A few species feed on plant material such as grains potatoes and celery.   “We believe it is in the genus Cantharis which may be viewed on BugGuide.  The species Cantharis fidelis, which is reported from Oregon, looks quite similar to your beetle.  Soldier Beetles are often attracted to lights, which could explain the presence in your living room.  You may release your captive as it will not harm you nor your home.