What is this??
Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM
This is a picture of a bug I saw on my garbage can in southern California. I have never seen this kind of bug before. In person the orange on the bug is a lot more orange than it shows in the picture. It was at least an inch long and 1/2 inch wide, possibly bigger. It is orange, white and blackish. The white and black are verticle stripes and the orange is on its legs and face.
Is it a bity bug? Is it a poisonus bug? Is this the sort of bug that might move into our house and have lots of little funny looking bugs? How do I get rid of this sort of bug?
Amanda G
Southern Califonia

Ten Lined June Beetle

Ten Lined June Beetle

Dear Amanda,
Other than munching on some pine tree needles, the Ten Lined June Beetle will not do you nor your home any harm.  It will not bite.  It is not poisonous, and it will not move into your home to procreate.  The grubs live underground and feed on the roots of a variety of plants, but they are never numerous enough to cause damage.  Turn off the porch light at night and you will need not fear attracting Ten Lined June Beetles to your house.

29 Responses to Ten Lined June Beetle

1. Eva says:

Hey, I am just about to add these guys within my shop- collected after their natural life cycle, and not when they are sleeping during the day, as they can seem dead. This little guy is a ten-lined june beetle and what a find for orange!!! I work…. now out of state for Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary, up on Modjeska Canyon Road, and we believed these guys to be extinct to the region. You usually only find them where there are a lot of pine trees, and most of our native pines are extremely becoming distinct to Orange County. So cool that you found one!

2. gloria klein says:

Our cat brought a beetle to the front door last night that sounds similar to one described.. It has wings, is almost 3 inches long, large eyes. Its body resembled a huge bee. It had been a bit injured so I collected it in a cup and placed it in a potted fern where it burrowed to the bottom. We have a few pine trees on the property. Could we have the same beetle?

3. Daniel Berend says:

In Northeast Washington these were very common. I know from experience that they do bite when stepped on in the shower. Felt like a pair if pliers grabbed the bottom of my toe.

4. Chezron says:

Found one at my home in La Mesa, CA in a fairly urban area. I have many fruit, nut, and several Aldarica pines. I was sitting there hissing in the mulch. I welcome any and all insects to my property. Vive la biodiversity!

5. Rae says:

I found the Ten lined June Beetle a few days ago..He was inside my apartment bldg. by the mailboxes . ( I reside in Denver,CO.) They are pretty bugs; with their strips on back. He was on his back kicking all fours in the air…I thought he was struggling. I wanted to help so I took my room key and turned him over on his legs…He ended back on his back…I believed he might have died as I saw him again the next A.M. Same spot…

6. Alyssa says:

One just fell out of the sky and landed by my foot while I was washing my car….scared the crap out of me! I never really see these things very often but it did look familiar. I love along the central coast of California and it’s about 10am, so he was out and about during the day.

7. Mike says:

Found one asleep on front porch in morning. Olympia WA.

8. kellie says:

These are all over Pueblo CO

9. Karen says:

Found one in Sedro-Woolley, WA this morning. A very strong beetle , surprised at the hissing it made. First time I had ever seen one!

10. Shannon says:

I see these frequently in the Portland OR area. I work nights so I think I’m seeing a lot of them.

11. Krista says:

Sorry to report but just whacked one with a shoe ,playing super woman for my 3yr old daughter who is terrified of bugs. And my 34 ur old sitter saying it was a tick…. wish I would have known. But unlike everyone one else, I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana…

The Ten Lined June Beetle is not reported East of the Mississippi River, but BugGuide documents many related and similar looking species in the genus Polyphylla that are found in the East.

12. Krista says:

How do I upload a picture on here or even give me your email and I will send a picture of what was on my back porch!

13. Krista says:

Indiana is also not considered East , even though we sit on the east. We are considered Midwest.

14. Daniel Berend says:

IN is east when the range is the Western United States and Canada. Like the other side of the Rockies. Also the Mississippi is generally considered a standard division of East vs West. And have you actually looked at a map or driven out west? Indiana is far closer to the east coast (600mi) than the west coast (1500mi).

15. Krista says:

Actually yes I’ve looked at plenty of maps in my life as well as lived in Indiana my whole life … Indiana is considered Midwest… look it up for yourself. I get what you are saying … and I’ve question how we are considered Midwest as well. But it is what it is … no need to get down to the mileage on it.

• Daniel Berend says:

Sorry that I had a condescending tone to my words. I was a little stressed and directed it in the wrong direction.

The Midwest is called such because a couple hundred years ago it was the Midwest part of the settled area of the continent. The name stuck and here we are. At least it hasn’t changed to the currently appropriate name Middle East. Sorry Bugman I know this was a little off topic.

Again, I apologize. If you did indeed have a ten lined June bug it could have arrived as a stowaway in a truck or with some new residents.

Thanks for your apology and explanation to Krista. Though our editorial staff hails from Ohio, which is east of Indiana, we are aware that our own home state is also considered the Midwest, but we did not want to get involved with those semantics. It turns out that Krista’s beetle was a False Potato Beetle.

• Krista says:

Apology accepted! I didn’t think you were condensending. Like I had said I could be wrong and turns out I was it was a false potato bug. It’s ok to be wrong it just makes up grow wiser. It happens. Though both bugs do look similar. As far as being Midwest I know it completely makes no sense I’ve questioned it my whole life and have argued it as well. All is fine this way! I didn’t take offense to it at all! It’s just a part of learning. And I’m okay with being wrong! So happy to stumble across this website though. I come across many bugs that I have no idea what they are and am always googling to find out. But this website has really been awesome and thank you bug man for identifying my bug!!!

16. Krista says:

Thanks bug man I have submitted the picture… again if I’m wrong that’s fine… just simply posting general statement. I don’t know how to link it to this post ..

17. Krista says:

No I used the same I will go back and try again

18. Krista says:

I sent it again , it is subject titled “Bug in Indiana”

19. JANET K TURNER says:

what do adult brown/white June beetle eat? Pine needles? Found one today NE Portland.

20. Michael Young says:

Camping in The Oregon Badlands at Renolds Pond in late June these large beetles would emerge from the sand in droves about an hour after sunset. They were very annoying as they were attracted to our heads and end up in our hair. They are so heavy their flight is slow, dizzy, and loud.They appear to put a lot of effort into their flying. As it still somewhat light outside we witnessed swifts and other larger swift looking birds catching them with a resounding smack and squash followed by a chortle either from delight or the bird choking. A gentle swat would bring them to the ground unharmed. They are incredible to observe in flight. They buzz right around your head and their antenna are amazing. They become pests though and we found that climbing in our sleeping bags (we dont do tents) made it hard for them to detect us. They disappear as suddenly as they emerged about an hour later. We could literally watch the clock and know what to expect.