large insect w/ big chompers in central Texas
Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Howdy. I live in Austin, TX, but my family has a weekend house near the west Texas town of Llano. We were there this past weekend and found this big guy on the screen door to the kitchen. These photos don’t give a sense of scale, but the thing was about 3 1/2 inches from the tip of the jaws to the end of the wings. I couldn’t tell whether it had one set of wings or two. We didn’t bother the bug, and it didn’t bother us, but its big jaws looked respectable. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Randall
Llano county, west Texas

Dobsonfly

Dobsonfly

Hello Randall,
This is a female Dobsonfly.  Just yesterday we posted a photo of a Hellgrammite, the larva of a Dobsonfly.  The male Dobsonfly has even more impressive mandibles, but it is the female that is capable of delivering a painful nip.  Though the bite of a female Dobsonfly can pinch, she is basically harmless.