Luna Moth
Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM
Hello, This morning 5.25.09 I was making my bed and opened my blinds that shows out to our front deck when I did I saw a bug that looked like a leaf.. so i took a picture and did some research and turns out it was the Canadian Luna Moth… I live in Maryland, does anyone know if it is common to see them here?? And this white moth was close by to it, is it a baby?? or a different moth.
Ashley A
Maryland

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear Ashley,
Luna Moths range over much of eastern North America, from Florida to Canada, and as far west as Texas and Oklahoma.  They are quite common in some parts of their range, and quite scarce in others.  Maryland is part of the range, but as to whether they are common in your area is a matter that must be verified by local statistics.  Luna Moths reach their adult size after emerging from the cocoon and expanding their wings.  They do not grow as adults.  The growth is accomplished during the caterpillar stage.  The white moth is not a baby Luna Moth.