white & black beetle/grasshopper?
Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:32 AM
we live in south louisiana….we have some very unusual bugs but this is 1 tops em……it was on my car…..it is black & white….it has a thorn on each side of its neck ….very long feelers…..the underneath of its legs look like hearts….please lemme know what yall think it could be…..it is pretty vicous,,,,
Layla Pinell
Montegut , Louisiana

Cottonwood Borer

Cottonwood Borer

Hi Layla,
This is a Cottonwood Borer, Plectrodera scalator, and there is little likelihood that it would be confused with any other insect since it is so distinctive.  BugGuide lists its range as “Eastern and Central United States. In east, found north of Washington, DC. (Apparently absent from Carolinas, Florida) ” typically near riverbanks and other places where its host trees willows and cottonwood grow.  Almost all of our reports have been from Oklahoma and Texas.

One Response to Cottonwood Borer

1. layla pinell says:

….HAHA…WELL WE ARE @ THE BOTTOM OF THE BOOT & I HAVE SHOWN IT TO MANY PEOPLE & THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN 1….JUST YESTERDAY , ACTUALLY RIGHT AFTER I EMAILED YOU GUYS, MY HUSBAND YELLS FOR ME TO OUTSIDE…HE FOUND ANOTHER 1 BUT IT WASN’T BLACK & WHITE…BUT HAD THE SAME FEATURES BUT NOT THE SAME COLORS…..I DIDNT TAKE A PIC BUT I SHOULD HAVE……..