Hellgramite in a hole
Sat, May 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM
Hello. My husband and I had a truck full of screened loam delivered for projects around the yard and it appears to be loaded with hellgramites! I looked at the hellgramite photos on your website and didn’t see any of them in their “natural habitat” (basically a hole in the ground), so I thought you might like this one. This one had burrowed into the ground under a brick that was holding a tarp down to keep the loam dry.
Funny thing… we actually learned about hellgramites and Dobson flies a few of years ago from this website. Shortly after our move to our house along a small river in New Hampshire, we saw our first crazy, prehistoric-looking hellgramite on our driveway. We don’t typically notice that many of them, maybe a couple of hellgramites and Dobson flies a year, but we have seen dozens of them over the past few days as we have been shoveling and raking the dirt.
PGF in NH
Southern NH, Monadnock Region

Hellgrammite in a hole

Hellgrammite in a hole

Dear PGF,
We are happy to be going strong and continuing to serve the curious after all these years.  We are greatly appreciative to be able to post your wonderful photo of a Hellgrammite in its hole.