Can’t Find This Bug Anywhere!!
Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM
Dear WTB:
A friend of mine and I were in the parking lot of PetCo, and this not-so-little flier landed on my friends shirt. We thought it looked pretty interesting, so we snapped a few pics with our cell phones(which is the photo isn’t the best) I have looked all over the internet and in all of my field guides and I can not for the life of me identify this one. Any ideas? Thanks!
Corey
Upstate NY, Watertown

Phantom Crane Fly

Phantom Crane Fly

Dear Corey,
The Phantom Crane Fly, Bittacomorpha clavipes, is a fascinating looking creature.  We believe the coloration helps them to appear to vanish and reappear while flying, hence the name phantom.

7 Responses to Phantom Crane Fly

1. Loretta says:

I love Jamie’s photo of the phantom crane fly. I’m writing a nonfiction article about the phantom crane fly for my next course assignment and would like permission to use this photo in my article. Please let me know!
    Loretta

Hi Loretta,
      Here at What’s That Bug? our submission form is a release form to post content to our website, be it visual or written, and we reserve the right to use the content in the future in What’s That Bug? authorized publication. The official copyright for the imagery remains with the photographer, but we often grant permission to reproduce content from our site for educational and nonprofit uses. You have our permission to use this image for your article, but please credit the photographer with the name and location the photographer provided.

Hi Loretta,
      Sorry about the delay. The photographer is really the copyright holder of the image, but we reserve the right to publish letters and photos submitted to us, and to reproduced them in What’s That Bug? authorized publications. We generally grant permission to reproduce content from our website for educational purposes and other nonprofit uses. We have no problem with you using this image for the purpose your requested.

• Sharolyn Dunham says:

I have a pic of one that landed on my arm that you can use!! It is very clear. Email me at sdunham610@verizon.net

2. Loretta says:

I really like Corey’s photo of the phantom crane fly. The white leg bands show up well next to the shirt. If granted permission, I would like to use this photo in an article I’m writing in my writer’s course. Let me know!
    Loretta

Hi Loretta,