Orange Bug
Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:34 AMMany immature and adults seen on podocarpus in central Florida. This shrub has had a problem with aphids. The adults flew readily when approached. The immature just crawled around. Adults are about 3/4 inch long.
Central Florida

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Hi Eric,
This is an immature Milkweed Assassin Bug and it is a beneficial predator. The fact that the podocarpus has Aphids is a good indication that the Milkweed Assassin Bugs are feeding on the Aphids. Adult Milkweed Assassin Bugs have wings.  We are very happy to have images of both immature and adult Milkweed Assassin Bugs to post with your letter.  Handle Milkweed Assassin Bugs with care as they are capable of biting and will do so if mishandled.

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Milkweed Assassin Bug

2 Responses to Milkweed Assassin Bug: nymph and adult

1. Cant wait till these guys come in. Just planted milkweed a month ago and so far I am inundated with the large milkweed bug. I hope the ladybugs and assassin bugs are on their way!

2. Donna jones says:

Last summer i had beautiful blooms. This year my seed pods appeared in early summer and they are still present. I’ve had a huge family of baby assassin bugs and adults. I had a few blooms at the beginning of spring but none after. Whats going on with them?