Bug Identification
Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM
This little gem was spotted in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago 1st May 2009. It is located on the side a bank headquarters approx 5ft from a grass lawn.
From tip of head to tail of body it measured approx 3inches. The photograph provides greater detail. It was stationary for about 2hrs and then when i returned it had gone. I am therefore unable to proivde details of flight/movement.
I would be grateful for classification/name etc etc if available
Simon Ward
Trinidad, Port of Spain

Harlequin Beetle

Harlequin Beetle

Dear Simon,
The Harlequin Beetle, Acrocinus longimanus, really is a spectacular Longhorned Borer Beetle from Central and South America as well as come of the Caribbean Islands.  Thanks so much for sending us your great photograph.

One Response to Harlequin Beetle from Trinidad

1. lastjedi1974 says:

I work at a law firm very near the savannah in Port of Spain. On our fourth floor, outside near some plants, we found one of these yesterday. I’ve never seen one of these before, and I even wonder if he’s the same specimen that Simon wrote about. There is nearly no movement from it, but clearly it is alive. Are these rare?