Maremask Walking Stick
Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Hi Bugman! I love your website without it I would not have been able to figure out what this bug was! I was letting my dog out one night and found this on my patio…I thought it was a stick at first then I looked closer and discovered it was a weird bug…so I immediately came in the house and went to what’s that bug! So I thought I would send it to you! Great pic huh?
Kajun Kate
Louisiana

Two Striped Walkingsticks Mating

Two Striped Walkingsticks Mating

Dear Kajun Kate,
These Two Striped Walking Sticks are also known as Muskmares. Theoretically, only the female would be a Muskmare and her mate should be a Musksire or Muskstallion. Two Striped Walkingsticks, Anisomorpha buprestoides , are able to spray a noxious substance with amazing accuracy into the eyes of any perceived threat.

One Response to Mating Muskmare and her stallion

1. oldphotogurl says:

I should have searched harder. I just email a photo of this insect to WTB.:-) I had never noticed them in our yard before today, I am glad to know what they are.