Please confirm ID of moth photo attached
Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM
This beautiful moth was found at 7:30 a.m. 4/15/09 in south central Florida in a transition area between pine flatwoods and hardwood hammock. From one other photo on your site, I believe it to be a Sweetbay silk moth (Callosamia securifera). Our moth is lighter in color though and markings seem a bit different. Can you please verify if this is indeed this species or if not, what species you think it might be? This is the first time I’ve seen this particular moth here.
Ranger Dorothy
Sebring, Florida (Highlands County)

Sweetbay Silk Moth

Sweetbay Silk Moth

Hi Ranger Dorothy,
We agree that this is a Sweetbay Silk Moth, Callosamia securifera. According to BugGuide: “Spring femles in the extreme south are often yellowish-orange.

Sweetbay Silk Moth

Sweetbay Silk Moth

Males are darker than females and often missing hind wing cell spots.” Your female specimen is one of the most delicately beautiful moths we have received in a very long time. Thanks so much for sending in the images.

Sweetbay Silk Moth

Sweetbay Silk Moth

4 Responses to Sweetbay Silk Moth

1. Pam Brooks says:

I don’t have a website. Just wanted to see if and how I could submit pictures. Is it only for identifying moths?

2. Pam Brooks says:

Also, is the sweetbay the tree that we call a bay tree that is similar to the magnolia?