Bug identification (New Delhi, India)
Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM
I saw this really weird and unusual bug in my room about an hour ago.
I stay on the outskirts of the city, quite a few open fields here.
What do you call this bug? Is it harmful in any way?
regards
Mohit
hun? By hand I guess.
New Delhi, India

Unknown Longicorn from India

Unknown Longicorn from India

Hello Mohit,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae.  We haven’t the time to try to research the species at the moment, but perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide a species identification.

Update Courtesy of Erwin Beyer
Unknown Longicorn beetle from India
December 14, 2013 11:11 am
on April 22nd, 2009 Mohit posted a nice cerambycid beetle from India.  I am not sure whether you are still interested in identifying critters of such old posts?
Anyhow, this is a member of genus Olenecamptus Chevrolat 1835.  As for the species it might be
O. bilobus of which exist several subspecies.  But I am not sure…It’s a male because of the very long
antennae.
Here a link to O. bilobus: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivijayanand/8696832905/
Signature: Erwin Beyer

Thanks Erwin,
Generally we haven’t the time to go through old posts to make identifications and corrections, so when our readership is able to provide additional information on older postings, we are very appreciative.  We make appropriate updates to postings when there is relevant new information.

Location: New Delhi, India

5 Responses to Unknown Longicorn Beetle from India might be Olenecamptus bilobus

1. kkroeker says:

Hello Mohit: Your longicorn beetle is Olenecamptus bilobus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae: Dorcaschematini). There are numerous subspecies and as a group they are widespread throughout south and southeast Asia, as far north as Taiwan and Japan. The large spots on the elytra can be either red or white, usually bright red in India. Apparently the red color fades to white in dried specimens. The extremely long antennae (more than twice the body length in males) are also characteristic. In India they are considered a pest on a variety of fig species. The same beetle was posted previously on this site by Esthar from Trivandrum (November 14, 2008): https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/04/13/unknown-longicorn-beetle-from-india/). There are numerous photos on the internet; check out: http://www.insectsofindia.in/imagedetails.php?id=177
    Regards. K

Hi Cesar,
        We are not sure what you mean by the link being redundant. The link we provided in the posting does not seem to be active any longer, but that is something we experience quite often. It seems many internet sites are a flash in the pan. They exist for a short time and then they are gone. We also know that we have some duplicate postings that resulted when we did our major site migration several years ago. We try to delete duplicated postings when we encounter them.
        We believe we corrected the link problem you indicated.

• Cesar Crash says:

No, no, Daniel, sorry.
          I mean, kkroeker talked about a 2008 post and sent the link to this same post here. He was certainly talking about the link I provided.

Thanks for pointing this out Cesar. I have used the posting you brought to my attention and corrected the link.