WInged Ant-Like Insect
Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM
This morning (April12) I was planting my garden when I saw three our four small areas in my backyard covered in hundreds of winged insects that looked exactly like black queen ants, and even had wings. They were about a centimeter (or maybe a little less) in length and seemed to be coming from the ground but I couldn’t tell exactly from where. Slowly the clumps of insects would fly into the air. What I am pretty sure about is that they’re not ants, because I don’t think this many winged ants all of a sudden come out of the Earth and gather the way I witnessed. Do you know what they are?
G. Spieler
Birmingham, AL, USA

Flying Termite

Flying Termite

Dear G.,
This is a Winged Termite, either a male or female reproductive individual.  When conditions are right, the future kings and queens leave the subterranean nest and embark on their nuptial flight.  They will then mate and start a new colony.

One Response to Flying Termite: Nuptial Flight

1. mmaditshaba says:

what is the scientific name of this termite?