Detailed Butterfly tatts
Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM
Hi Bugman,
I wanted to share my beautiful (if I do say so myself) ink. I picked up the three mounted species during my travels and brought them in to get exact replicas (thanks Mark Mahoney). The top one is Trogonoptera brookiana (a birdwing?) , Monarch and a Ulysses. He got them perfectly, right down to the veins in the wings and the red marking on the thorax of the birdwing.
I read your site everyday and can’t get enough!
Hope to see you guys at the bug fair at the Natural History museum in May!
Andrea
West Hollywood

Anatomically Correct Butterfly Tattoos

Anatomically Correct Butterfly Tattoos

My My Andrea,
What anatomical perfection.
Seriously though, Mark Mahoney did a wonderful job on the Raja Brook’s Birdwing, Monarch and Ulysses Swallowtail. As if the drawing we just posted of a Solpugid wasn’t enough to dispel any rumors that we are a serious insect identification website, your tattoo photo might just send the purists into a tizzy. We do like to keep things light and entertaining.
We often attend the Bug Fair, but as guests. Dare we ask how we will recognize you should we cross paths? Perhaps we will talk to our agent about getting a booth at the fair this year. It might be a good way to begin to publicize the book we are writing.