Dragonfly Love
Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:23 AM
I was working in my yard yesterday when this pair of dragonflies flew in and stuck around long enough for me to get a camera and take some pictures of them while they were on their “honeymoon” 🙂 Thought you might like this for your Bug Love page.
Paul
Garland, TX

Dragonflies mating

Dragonflies mating

Hi Paul,
Thanks for sending the mating Dragonfly image. Many Dragonflies mate in this position, with the male grasping the female by her neck with his claspers. We don’t want to even attempt to identify your species since Dragonflies still tend to baffle us after all these years.  Perhaps one of our readers who is more adept at Dragonfly identification can assist in this matter.

One Response to Mating Dragonflies

1. RenaudB says:

Those ones are Common Baskettail (Epitheca cynosura), with apparently weakly marked wings. Eyes reddish brown, thorax brown, hairy, with few small yellow spots on the sides, yellow spot on sides of most abdomen’s segments.