Purple grasshopper, Chortophaga viridifasciata nymph maybe?
Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM
This has got to be one of the cutest little critters I’ve ever seen! It’s purple! I have never seen one like it before. A friend of mine caught it in her yard, and saved it for me. I’ve had so much fun trying to ID it. I found one photo on bugguide ( http://bugguide.net/node/view/176424) that might be this hopper, but would like to have a positive ID.
Most of this little hopper’s body is a pinkish purple, save some green on the wings? Its eyes are yellow-green, and it has short, stubby antennae.
My friend said it was playing in the clover when she spotted it, and by the time she managed to catch it out in the field, both she and the hopper were worn out 🙂
Sherry Young
Roe, Monroe County, Arkansas

Northern Green Striped Grasshopper

Northern Green Striped Grasshopper

Dear Sherry,
We believe you have correctly identified this purple Northern Green Striped Grasshopper, Chortophaga viridifasciata.  BugGuide lists green and brown forms, and has several images of brighter pink and purple forms.

One Response to Northern Green Striped Grasshopper: Pink/Purple form

1. Ameer Hamza says:

Please .anyone tells me pak\ind pradka grasshooper scientific name…