Two insects – not sure what class or?
Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM
I am sending two photographs of insects I have seen here in Costa Rica but each one only once. I’m not even sure whether I am dealing with bugs, beetles, or? I want to post the photos to a site trying to build a world insect identification guide, but can’t post until I know what I’m posting. The long silvery insect is quite lovely, I think. The other was a photo taken with a flash at night in the rain as I was getting off a bus in San Vito, Costa Rica. The yellow, black, white, and I think blue insect could be a beetle but . . . Definitely rural or forest insects to be found in the highlands of southern Costa Rica.
Mary B. Thorman
San Vito, Coto Brus, Costa Rica

Heiroglyphic Moth

Heiroglyphic Moth

Hi Mary,
The flash photo is of a Heiroglyphic Moth, Diphthera festiva, a species we have posted previously to What’s That Bug? and also found on the Featured Creatures website
.  The Heiroglyphic moth is an Owlet Moth in the family Noctuidae that is encountered in Florida as well as the tropical regions of Central America.  Your other insect is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae.  We haven’t the time to research the exact species, but perhaps one of our readers will have the answer and submit a comment or a letter.

Unknown Costa Rican Cerambycid

Unknown Costa Rican Cerambycid

2 Responses to Heiroglyphic Moth and Unknown Longicorn Beetle from Costa Rica

1. naddi says:

Hi Mary,
    i think the beetle you found, could be an Sphallambyx chabrillacii but i´m not sure for 100%

greetings naddi