long horn Grasshopper
Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Hi all,
i found this Grasshopper in Guinea (west-africa). Ist about 5cm long an have a strange spkie an his Head.
Maybe its Acrida spec.?
Guinea found
Guinea, West africa

Conehead Katydid

Conehead Katydid

Dear Guinea found,
Grasshoppers in the genus Acrida are known as the Slant Faced Grasshoppers, and they are members of the Orthoptera suborder Caelifera, the true Grasshoppers with short antennae. Acrididae is the predominant family of Short Horned Grasshoppers. Horned in this case refers to the antennae. Your insects is a Long Horned Orthopteran in the suborder Ensifera, and the family Tettigoniidae, the Katydids. Though the spined head is more extreme than North American species, we would say that your Katydid is a Conehead Katydid in the subfamily Conocephalinae. You can find images of North American species on BugGuide. We will contact Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki to see if he recognizes your specimen.

Conehead Katydid

Conehead Katydid

Update:
Somebody has already sent me a picture of this katydid, but not one with the
view of its face. Now that I can see the exact shape of the fastigium and
the marking on the face there is no doubt that this is a female of
Pseudorhynchus pungens Schaum, a fairly common, nearly pan-African species.Cheers,
Piotr
Piotr Naskrecki, Ph. D.
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University

Update: Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM
thanks for your detailed and fast answer!
I had founded the exact name of the species, its Pseudorhynchus cf lanceolata or pungens.
But again, thanks a lot for your strive!
Greetings from Germany
Chris