african beetle?
Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM
this was taken near the shore of lake Victoria in Jinga (source of the Nile), Uganda (east africa)
-kait
Jinga, Uganda, East Africa

Unknown African True Bug

African Rainbow Shield Bug

Dear -kait,
This is not a beetle. It is a True Bug in the order Hemiptera, but we don’t know the species. It sure is a colorful specimen. Perhaps one of our readers will write in with a correct identification or family.

Unknown African True Bug

Update: Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Hi, I sent a comment form with this info, but I’m not sure with the newer site how to offer ID info.  I believe this bug is a Rainbow Shield Bug (Calidea dregii).  The colors are just gorgeous!  Hope this helps,
Karen Oram
Shelton, CT

Hi Karen,
The photo sure matches the one posted on Flickr, and the plant seems to be the same as well.  Despite the scientific name, we were unable to locate a reputable scientific link for the species.

Location: Africa

One Response to Rainbow Shield Bug from Africa perhaps

1. karenaso says:

Hi, I sent a comment form with this info, but I’m not sure with the newer site how to offer ID info. I believe this bug is a Rainbow Shield Bug (Calidea dregii). The colors are just gorgeous! Hope this helps,
    Karen Oram
    Shelton, CT