Metallic Green Fly
Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM
As shown in the picture, it has a blue-green metallic color to it. It looked like a fly and it was flying to different flowers. I located this bug in Southern Florida. There’s not much else I can think of.
Jenna Marie
Coconut Creek, Florida

Green Orchid Bee

Green Orchid Bee

Dear Jenna Marie,
This is a Green Orchid Bee, Euglossa viridissima, a tropical species that has become well established in Florida in recent years, perhaps due to global warming.
In a general sense, species range expansion and species range declines are both evidence of climate changes.  While range expansion might be considered a benefit in some cases, it also becomes harmful to the environment by crowding out of established species that are native to the area.

Location: Florida

One Response to Green Orchid Bee

1. Terri says:

I saw one of these on my cucumber flowers today. I live in Edmond, Okla. I was wondering if that is unusual. Wish I had my camera. I usually carry it with me in the garden.