Winged But with Long Neck
Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Hi! I’ve seen this guy three times in the last week and finally got him to sit still for a picture. He seems to be alone, there is no swarm. He hangs out on walls and flies only as a last resort. We’ve just had some spring rains, so maybe that has something to do with his appearance now. Thanks for your help!
STW
Santa Barbara, CA

Snakefly

Snakefly

Dear STW,
Over the years, we have had countless letters from people who want buts identified. Perhaps it is the proximity of the g to the t on a keyboard. This is a Snakefly. Snakeflies are in the order Raphidioptera and according to BugGuide: “Formerly Raphidioidea, a suborder of Neuroptera. ” That means we need to reclassify all the Snakefly postings on our site to conform to the new taxonomy. Adults and larvae are both predatory.

Thank you so much for the Snakefly info.  And I also appreciate your kind treatment of my lack of typing skills!
You’ve got a great site.
STW