a moth
Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM
i just saw a moth in our locality that needs to be identified please help me out with it the moth had green colouring with stripes of purple and light pink.
ketul.barot
mumbai,maharashtra,india

Oleander Hawk Moth

Oleander Hawk Moth

Dear Ketul.Barot,
Your moth is an Oleander Hawk Moth, Deilephila nerii or sometimes Daphnis nerii , according to Bill Oehlke’s wonderful web site which indicates the range as “the southern Mediterranean region,  North Africa and the Middle East  to Afghanistan.”  The species has also been introduced to Hawaii and the use of the cultivated food plant oleander in many areas will no doubt result in additional range expansion beyond the current reports of Southeast Asia and the Philippines.

One Response to Oleander Hawk Moth from India

1. Lourdes Ann Limcaoco says:

What is the purpose of this kind of moth? Is it not a pest to find one within a house? I found a brown reddish stain on our curtain where it landed. Will it be easy to clean up? Thank you.