Peruvian amazon stinging slug caterpillar?
Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM
I saw this bug in late July, 2008 in Puerto Maldonado, Peru. I’d be interested to know what you think.
JC
Puerto Maldonado, Peru

Stinging Slug Caterpillar

Stinging Slug Caterpillar

Hi JC,
What we think is that you are correct.  This is a Stinging Slug Caterpillar in the family Limacodidae.  We also think it is a gorgeous specimen and that it resembles the Saddleback Caterpillar, Acharia stimulea, from North America, and we believe it may be in the same genus.  We will try to do additional research at a later date.

Update:  August 5, 2012
In trying to clean up some unidentified postings from the past, we found a matching photo of this caterpillar on FlickR where it is identified as Lagarta Acharia (fam. Limacodidae).  We found another photo on FlickR with the genus identified as
Acharia.  We now believe Lagarta means caterpillar in Portuguese. 

Location: Peru

2 Responses to Stinging Slug Caterpillar from Amazonian Peru

1. juliaross says:

Hi there,

I’m the editor of an online magazine about Latin America – papagaio.co.uk – and I’m putting together a piece on bizarre bugs of the region. I was just wondering whether I might be able to use one of your images of the Amazonian slug caterpillar. Would that be possible at all?

Many thanks
    Julia

Hi Julia,
      Thanks for posting your request as a comment to the image you want to use. We authorize your use of an image posted to What’s That Bug? for your online magazine.