Turquoise and Black Beetle
Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM
Saw this one laying on the beach in Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica. I think it was dying because it wasn’t moving much and wasn’t scared of us. It was about 2 inches long. So beautiful..
Tori
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Cicada from Costa Rica

Cicada from Costa Rica

Hi Tori,
Your mystery insect is a Cicada, not a Beetle. Cicadas are often responsible for the loud buzzing sounds you hear emanating from the treetops. We don’t know the species here, but perhaps one of our readers can supply that information. Meanwhile, we are going to ask Paco the Gardener from El Salvador to tell us the lore surrounding the Cicada in Central America and eventually post what he relates.

Update:
Hi Daniel:
This gorgeous cicada is in the genus Zammara, probably Z. smaragdina. There are one or two other possibilities in the genus, but Z. smaragdina looks the closest. I will be visiting Costa Rica myself in a few weeks and I will be looking for this beauty! Regards.
Karl
Link: http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/Honduras/Hemiptera/Zammara%20smaragdina.htm

5 Responses to Costa Rican Cicada

1. Cassie says:

I just saw this bug in my backyard in Connecticut!

2. David Gillies says:

In Costa Rica these are known colloquially as “chicharras”. They start to emerge around this time of year (April) and the noise they make has to be heard first-hand to be believed. It sounds like the fan belt slipping on a car, if the car were the size of an aircraft carrier. I’ve clocked it at 92 dB.

3. Brenda Foulds says:

I saw this cicada this weekend at Black Forest Lodge, Cayo District, Belize. It was large, I’d say 1.5 to 2″, and totally a light shade of turquoise, like some New Mexican artefact, not at all emerald green. It was hopping around a low light marking the path. At first I thought it was a frog because of how it was hopping and skeetering from point to point, but what really astonished me was that it sounded like a frog croaking – no screeching or shrilling or whistling from this one. I watched it for some minutes, and heard it throughout the night. The lodge’s bird guide knew nothing about it.