Red-headed, Red-legged, Red + Blue winged, Yellow striped bug
Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM
Dear Bugman
I must begin with an apology that the bug whose identification I request is decapitated in the attached photograph but assure you that this is not a bug mug shot to be assigned to the ‘unnecessary carnage’ division. Its savage death occurred through no fault of my own and since squashing my last ant at the tender age of four, I harbour no entomophobic tendencies whatsoever. The unfortunate demise of this particular bug was marked by its collision with the front grid of a giant purple overland truck travelling at high speed across the border between Namibia and South Africa in the sweltering heat of summer. You will be pleased to know that a minute’s respectful silence was observed in memory of the roadkill bug; and I will be pleased to know its name.
Desperately Seeking sp.
The South African- Namibian border

probably Gaudy Grasshopper

probably Gaudy Grasshopper

Dear Desperately Seeking Species,
We suspect this is one of the Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers in the family Pyrgomorphidae.  The family is also known as the Gaudy Grasshoppers.  Those warning colors are a dead giveaway.  We are thoroughly amazed at the number of submissions from Namibia we have received in recent weeks.  When time permits, we may try to do a more thorough species identification.

Location: Africa

3 Responses to Namibian Grasshopper: Roadkill

1. Piotr Naskrecki says:

Phymateus morbillosus (Pyrgomorphidae)

2. Alex Dreyer says:

Agreed. Phymateus morbillosus. See http://www.ispot.org.za/node/168379.