Larger black and brown spider maybe tarantula
Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM
We live in Dayton Nevada 15 miles from Carson City Nevada. My husband found this spider about 2 weeks ago underneath a board outside. In the last 2 weeks he/she has doubled in size and loves crickets. When we first found him/her was half the size it is now ( body is about 1 inch long and with the legs about an inch and 1/2 long. When we first found him/her it was all black now the rear end of the spider is a silky brown very short hair on the rear end and two back legs, upper part of the body is slick looking as well as the front two sets of legs. It appears that there is a set of eyes in the middle of the head, almost in a prymaid looking area. The spider has very larger feeder arms on the front as well.
The spider really doesn’t make webs, it seems that it only webs so that it can’t eat whatever it has bitten. So is this a baby tarantula? Thanks for your help.
Jennifer DeForest
Dayton Nevada

possibly Young Tarantula

probably Crevice Weaver Spider

Hi Jennifer,
All of your photos are quite blurry, but we believe this may be a young Tarantula in the genus Aphonopelma since the markings match some images posted to BugGuide. We will contact Eric Eaton to see if he is more certain. Is this spider now being kept in captivity? Are you, by chance, related to our good friend John who is a landscape architect in Laguna?

Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:20:17 -0800 (PST)
You aren’t kidding about “blurry.” LOL! Impossible to be certain, but I think that the spider is a “crevice weaver” in the family Filistatidae. They should stop feeding the thing for awhile, too. Spiders are opportunistic predators, and will overeat if fed too regularly (in the wild they don’t know when the next meal is coming).
There are some great images of filistatids over at Bugguide that they can compare to. I’m pretty certain this is not a tarantula.

UPdate:
Here is an after thought, I was researching on bug guide and I believe now that this is either a trapdoor spider or a Crevice Weavers (Filistatidae) »Kukulcania  I can not tell which. After looking through the pictures and looking at my spider, I see that he has bands on his legs where they attach to the body. I would better describe the hair as velvet looking. I just can not decided which spider he is and if it is a he or a she. I have also noticed he has atleast 1 dimple on his butt, and no spinnerets. I am unsure if either of these spiders are supposed to be in my area.
Thanks for all your help.
Jennifer DeForest

4 Responses to Crevice Weaver Spider

1. ROTOCAT says:

This spider your referring to is definitly not a tarantula but instead its common name is The WOLF SPIDER they are very common in the Dayton,Nevada area if only you were to look for them ….they are harmless… however they can leave a pretty nasty welt from a bite penetration I wouldnt recommend holding a wild WOLF SPIDER since they are very unprdictable in nature. HOPE THIS HELPS

2. ROTOCAT says:

I need to change my comment above….the wolf spider for the most part is non-aggressive but again if handled and provoked it can bite and this spider is in fact Poisonous but not deadly so I would highly recommend not handling this creature since again they are very unpredictable and they are considered very harmful to humans just not deadly especially to young childeren and elderly.

3. greg says:

Check also if it was a ladybird female spider which is called velvet-spider. If it was a male it would have 4 red markings on the abdomen really wonderful looking spider if a female then dark brown – black. It looks to me more like a wolf or trapdoors but wolves or trapdoors don’t do trip lines around their nest. Filistatidae do make wooly triplines around their hole-nest or whatever. If it was a ladybird female it constructs a a woolen retreat with radiating trip lines but not a hole rather a nest which is well sealed to the ground or rocks. In the world of spiders and words “deadly” or fearsome are words that exaggarate fear. Show respect to spiders and also try to understand that not a big or enormous spider means deadly quite the opposite mostly… Dealing with spiders need to be careful and being no nervous. Never catch a spider, letting walk on you that’s a different story but always show respect. Fear is not a good advisor, knowledge is a good advisor (from trusted sites) Remember spiders cant be known on their colour or size but mostly can be searched firstly recognizing the pattern of their eyes…so excluding the rest and ..and then come closing to the real specimen taking under consderation all details concerning colour, webbing construction, natural env. etc
    Thnx

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment. Unless we are really mistaken, we believe the Nevada, USA location would most likely eliminate the possibility that this is a European Ladybird Spider. Since no one on our staff has any actual background in entomology (we are artists) we are not certain if we should be trusted as we are frequently wrong and we need to be corrected.