Grasshopper
Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Earlier this month I was trying to take photographs of birds when I saw this insect land in front of me. I assume that it’s a grasshopper and not a katydid. It was on the ground at the entrance to a field adjacent to parkland and close to houses in a suburb of Austin, Texas. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take a picture of the sunny side of the insect because the entrance gate to the field prevented me from taking a picture from that side. By the way, I’m now back in France where I live!
Chris Shaw
Scofield Farms Drive, Pflugerville, Austin, TX

Grasshopper

Wrinkled Grasshopper ???

Hi Chris,
This is definitely a Grasshopper and not a Katydid.  We believe it may be in the subfamily Oedipodinae, the Band-winged Grasshoppers, and it looks similar to Encoptolophus costalis which is pictured on BugGuide and ranges in Texas, but we are not certain.  We feel it looks even more similar to the Wrinkled Grasshopper, Hippiscus ocelote which can also be viewed on BugGuide. We suspect the species name “ocelote” may refer to the wing spotting resembling that of an ocelot.  We will contact Eric Eaton to see if he is able to assist in this identification.