Cave cricket – Philippines
Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Hi there,
I love you site and take a look at least once a week to see what wonderful life people around the world have been finding. I hope you enjoy the attached pictures of a cricket we found in a cave in Sohoton National park, Samar in The Philippines.
He was 3-4 inches in length, but his antennae were almost double that. I’m amazed by the ‘toes’ on his back legs and it’s ‘tail’. Forgive me for not knowing the scientific names of it’s body parts.
Noel, UK
Philippines

Camel Cricket

Camel Cricket

Hi Noel,
Your Camel Cricket or Cave Cricket in the family Rhaphidophoridae is actually a female as evidenced by her ovipositor or “tail.”   The Camel Cricket is a Bug of the Month for January 2009.  While we don’t know the exact species of your specimen, nor do we know the common name in the Philippines, we are confident that the family Rhaphidophoridae is correct.

Cave Cricket

Cave Cricket