Xmas present included a @&*#$ bug!
Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:11 AM
I got a box for Xmas and did find this bug inside (dead). The box came from a US warehouse which got it from China. So the Question we are all asking to you: is the Cockroach from China or the US? We need an answer if possible as we have a bet situation here. The bug was flushed and I cannot give you more images sorry. More Info: the bug routed from China near HK then Illinois then Minnesota then to Ohio. Thanks.
Donation is the way to an answer!
China or North American Bug

Oriental Cockroach

Oriental Cockroach

Dear Donater
A donation is not truly the way to an answer.  That is more the luck of the draw when it comes to us opening emails, which happens at random or because a subject line catches our attention.  In your case, it was our vivid imagination regarding the implied foul language of your heading.  Sadly, we don’t know if your cockroach originated in China or the U.S., but we are fairly certain it is the Oriental Cockroach, Blatta orientalis, sometimes called a Water Bug.  The reason we are uncertain where your specimen originated is due in part to the misty origin of the species.  According to a University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) website:  “The origin of the oriental cockroach, Blatta orientalis Linnaeus, is uncertain, but it is thought to be from Africa or south Russia. It is a major household pest in parts of the northwest, mid-west, and southern United States.”  Since the species now has such a wide distribution, it is impossible to surmise where your specimen crawled into the box.