Huge unknown insect from Brazil
Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM
I am living in Florianopolis, Brazil. I was recently walking at night and saw this insect on the sidewalk. It was very large about 8 inches from leg to leg with a body about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. I have never seen anything like it before. It was very slow but quite aggressive. Its two front legs were each about 3 inches long and its antenna were about the same. it looked like a hard shell and was red and black pattern. The picture is not great quality as it was an iphone at night. I set my audi key next to it for size reference (which is about 2 inches X 1 inch). I have spent some time trying to figure out what it was but have not had any luck on the internet. I hope you are able to help me out. You will be glad to know that I moved it to safety off of the sidewalk so nobody would step on it. When I tri ed to nudge it . it actually wrapped its legs around the bottom of my shoe and I had to shake it off just to give some size reference to its legs. If you identify it for me I will send you the pic of the tarantula found in our garage which is bigger than the blackberry I set next to it.
Dave
Florianopolis Brazil

Harlequin Beetle

Harlequin Beetle

Hi Dave,
This is a Harlequin Beetle, Acrocinus longimanus, one of the Longhorned Borer Beetles or Longicorn Beetles in the family Cerambycidae.  We have received several letters in the past with photos of this stunning beetle.