What is the name of this insect and is it native to Wisconsin?
Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM
We found this bug crawling slowly on our bathroom rug. It seems like some type of borer. I haven’t seen something like this before in Wisconsin, especially during the winter months. I brought it outside where it crawled slowly around for a bit on the snow and then I think it died.
Mike Zussman
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Mike,
The Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, is native to the Pacific Northwest, but in the past three decades, it has demonstrated major range expansion.  It is quite possible that an accidental introduction led to its proliferation in the Northeast.  According to BugGuide, it has been reported in over half the lower 48 states now, including Wisconsin.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs often seek shelter indoors when cold weather arrives, but they will not do any damage indoors.

One Response to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. Mary Loomer says:

Does this have wings? It looks rather like the ones mostly in my attic. Some have appeared downstairs lately. They seem to jump rather than fly.
    Can I send you a foto of one I tried to kill neatly?