water scorpions share meal
Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM
I thought you guys might like this picture I took last year. Over the summer I raised several water scorpions, and these are two of them. They were both eating the same damselfly larva at the same time. I thought that this was a rare moment and snapped several shots. I later realized that the darker one had little egg pouches, or mites of some kind on one of its legs, and that there is another damselfly larva on the lighter one’s back. I hope you guys enjoy this image. Thanks again for the awesome site.
Josh Kouri
Oklahoma

Water Scorpions eat Damselfly Naiad

Water Scorpions eat Damselfly Naiad

Hi again Josh,
Thanks for the interesting image of two Water Scorpions feeding on a Damselfly Naiad.  It will be an excellent addition to our Food Chain section.  We took the liberty of adding Oklahoma to your posting as you did not submit your letter using our new form that requires a location.  Adding the location requirement to our online form has saved us the bother of writing back for a location.  Please include a location in any future letters.