Green Milkweed Locust?
Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Green Milkweed Locust (Phymateus viripides)? Is out of range according to guidebooks but ID seems 99%
Photographed in the Langeberg Range in South Africa in montane fynbos ecosystem. Photo is attached
Brett
Langeberg Range in South Africa

Immature Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers

Immature Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers

Hi Brett,
How nice to get additional Pyrgomorphid Grasshopper images from you. These immature nymphs may be difficult to identify to the species level since they undergo color changes in the maturation process. Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers are also known as Gaudy Grasshoppers. Since it is now summer in South Africa, we would expect the grasshoppers to be mature. Is it possible this photo was taken earlier in the season?

It was taken about six weeks ago
Brett

2 Responses to More Toxic Milkweed Grasshopper Nymphs from South Africa

1. Julia says:

We saw something similar last weekend (30.4.2017), hiking Kasteelberg in Riebeek Kasteel, Western Cape. They started appearing the further we got to the rocky top of the mountain.
    As you mentioned, they change colour during maturation process – we took some pictures that look exactly like the one displayed above, but much brighter in colour. Is it the same species just ‘older’ as the colour is much brighter?

We also saw big ones in a dark red & black colour.

I’d love to add pictures to get more information – please contact me so I can send them perhaps?

Thanks & Cheers
    Julia