Pollen ?
Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 6:29 AM
Hi Bugman!
I don’t want to abuse but I have 3 different pictures. The first one we though it was pollen, but when we got close-up, we were surprised that they were small yellow bugs that we can’t identify (took at 11p.m)…
The second one is some kind of ‘spiky’ flying thing! It did not stayed long enough on the leave for me to take a better picture of it. It is about 2.5 inch long…
And the last one was taken on a grass piece, so they are very small and there’s a lot of them..
The 3 pictures were taken during summer 2008 in a Montréal park. And i’m sorry if I’m not expressing myself very well, I’m not used to write in english!
Thanks you Bugman!
Philippe
Montréal, Québec, Canada

Oleander Aphids

Oleander Aphids

Hi Philippe,
The yellow insects are Aphids, and we believe they are Oleander Aphids, Aphis nerii, a species introduced from the Mediterranean that now ranges over much of North America.  The species is now cosmopolitan.  According to BugGuide, they feed on milkweed as well as oleander and we get them every year on our potted Hoya plants.  BugGuide also provides this information:  “Males are apparently absent from North American populations–reproduction is by parthenogenesis.”