Is it a roach? Is it a moth? Is it a beetle?
Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:43 PM
This bug was found in my kitchen yesterday terrorizing my mother. She had no idea what it was and it was flying around the kitchen so it seemed to freak her out. When it flies it looks just like a beetle but when it lands it doesn’t have many similar features of one. I went to catch it but it disappeared until later that night where I found it on the T.V. I quickly ran into the kitchen for a jar but it was gone when I came back. This morning I found it in the living room and caught it. I’ve been looking up the various insects that are known to my area and have come up with little to no answers. I’ve lived in Northern California all my life as well as my mother and we have never seen a bug like this one.
It’s brown and spotted, it flies, has “muscular” legs, and seems to be relatively calm in the jar (it’s not freaking out like a moth would normally do in a closed brightly lit environment). Its head is pointed – not rounded like a roaches head and it doesn’t appear have a super hard exoskeleton – its back is protected by its wings. I’ve provided three angles in the pictures so hopefully I can find out what this bug is. 🙂
*note: The red marks on the glass are not from the bug.
Kristy
McKinleyville, California.

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Kristy,
The Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, is often noticed when it seeks shelter indoors at the onset of cooler weather.  This species is native to the Pacific Northwest, but it has increased its range dramatically over the past few decades.  It is now found throughout the Northeast as well as Canada.